Dreamforce ’14 starts today! To gear up, we’re giving you the lowdown on some of the most exciting Dreamforce keynote speakers and events going on at this year’s conference (also see Neil Young , Max Levchin, Marc Andreessen & Jeremy Stoppelman). Today, get to know keynote Eckhart Tolle with these 8 fast facts!
1. In 2011, Eckhart Tolle was named the most spiritually influential person in the world, ahead of the Dalai Lama, the Pope and Nelson Mandela. As Ron Burgundy would say, he’s “kind of a big deal.”
2. Tolle’s two most popular works, The Power of Now and A New Earth, sold approximately eight million copies in North America combined.
3. Tolle’s worldview was shaped by years of severe depression. He spent his 20’s in England, plagued by suicidal thoughts.
4. Now known as “Eckhart,” Tolle’s birth name is “Ullrich.” He officially changed his name to “Eckhart” as an homage to German theologian Meister Eckhart.
5. In 2000, Oprah recommended Tolle’s first book, The Power of Now, in her magazine. By August, the book had reached the New York Times Best-Seller list. Never underestimate the power of Oprah.
6. Tolle has remained an Oprah favorite over the years. On her show in 2008, she gushed that, “I am most proud of the fact that all of you have joined us in this global community to talk about what I believe is one of the most important subjects. And presented by one of the most important books of our times.”
7. As a thirteen year old in Germany, Eckhart refused to continue to go to school. He saw the school as a hostile environment and decided to learn from home instead. From there he studied literature and became tri-lingual, speaking English, German, and Spanish.
8. Eckhart’s self-help philosophy focuses on releasing the ego, which will lead to personal happiness. Let’s shoot for an ego-free Dreamforce ’14!
See the whole list of Dreamforce keynotes here, and make sure you visit our booth, located at Moscone N1123. We’ll be announcing exciting new product news, talking all things sales, marketing and tech, and will even have a putting a green where you can show off your skills and potentially win a great prize. View our full Dreamforce schedule on this page — and don’t forget to check out our eBook with essential tips for doing Dreamforce like a pro. Click the cover below!